St. Mary's Church, Whorlton
St. Mary's Church is located in the south-east corner of the village. The church is now part of the combined parish of Barnard Castle with Whorlton.
The ancient chapel which originally stood on this site had early Norman features, was demolished and replaced by a new building in 1853 at a cost of £600. It is an elegant structure, in Victorian Gothic style, soundly built of local random stone and brick. Built onto the south west corner of the nave is an octaganal bell tower, housing two bells, which are chimed from a small room under the tower.