Edwardian era and the 20th Century
1904 The South African War Memorial is dedicated
1906-1914 The Colours of the Durham Militia and Durham Light Infantry 4th Battalion are laid up in St Mary’s
1911-12 A metalwork chancel screen is installed
1923 A new oak pulpit is installed, and oak WW1 Memorial doors in the tower porch.
1927 The Rising Bell stopped ringing: this told people when to wake up!
1934 St Mary’s demolishes its properties at Amen Corner; electric light is installed in church; the Church Institute (formerly Unitarian Church) on Newgate is bought and licensed for worship.
1945-49 The Curfew Bell stopped ringing: this told people when they should be home at night-time.
1957 The metalwork chancel screen is removed, the font moves from the tower porch to the north transept; the organ moves to the south transept due to dry rot, and St Margaret’s chapel is created. St Mary’s Parish Hall is built for church and community use.
1983-92 Portions of St Mary’s lead roof are replaced and the entire roof is fully restored, along with the North Transept.