St Mary’s in the 21st Century
2007-2021 – St Mary is re-ordered for the 21st century:
- Victorian heating and seating plinths are removed
- the font level and all floors are levelled, including St Margaret’s Chapel (lowered by six feet!)
- new heating and lighting and a servery are installed
- WWI memorial doors are relocated at the south door
- a new interior porch is created in the tower entrance and an accessible toilet in the north porch
- a new digital organ is installed
- a labyrinth is created in the south transept
- a new car-parking area is landscaped
- Children at Green Lane CE Primary School help to create four seasonal banners for St Margaret’s Chapel – with four ‘twin’ banners on display in their school hall.
- WiFi is installed to allow for live-streaming during the Covid-19 Pandemic; partnering with DigVentures archaeological team, St Mary’s is given a Heritage Lottery grant enabling restoration work on the west wall, south clerestory windows, drains, and stained glass; the grant also funds a new church website and community engagement activities.
- In 2021 a memorial rowan tree for those who died during the years of the Covid-19 Pandemic is planted on the south side of the churchyard.